- Create an account with SendGrid. SendGrid offers 40,000 emails for 30 days, then 100 emails/day. Beyond that, you'll need to upgrade to $14.95/mo plan that offers about 40,000 emails per month.
- Activate your SendGrid account. Open the SendGrid activation email you received in the email account you used for signup and follow the instructions provided.
- First, we need to set up Domain Authentication that includes SPF and DKIM to ensure our emails are delivered to recipients. Go to Settings > Sender Authentication > click the Get Started button – or click here.
- Add your domain. If your email is
[email protected], then your domain name is everything after the "@" symbol -
mycompany.com. We will leave Advanced Settings as-is.
- Select your DNS host (e.g. GoDaddy, Namecheap, etc.) and for now, we won't be using brand links so we will leave the second question to
No. Instead, our emails will have Close's email tracking enabled.
Link Branding is used for open email tracking images and click-tracking links so that links are pointing to your domain instead of using default SendGrid's. That way email's reputation is higher so is deliverability. See more info on SendGrid.
- Depending on your DNS host selection this page might differ. The image below shows when you select
Other host (not listed)which is an option for manual configuration. Keep this tab open for easy copy-paste for the next step.
- Log into your domain registrar/host and navigate to the DNS settings
Pro Tip: Follow the links to see guidance on adding new DNS records
Revisit the You'll Need Your Domain Host Credentials section above and click on the various domain hosts listed for examples of modifying DNS entries.
- Create the first CNAME record - in our case, that's
- Create the
- Save your DNS changes.
- Back in SendGrid, click the
Verifybutton and you should be greeted with
DNS changes take 24-48 hours
After you save your DNS records, it will take approximately 24-48 hours to propagate them globally.
- Once your DNS settings are verified (usually 24-48 hours later), log into your SendGrid account in your web browser
- Go to
Email API > Integration Guide > SMTP Relay - Chooseto set up SMTP relay
- Enter the name for your API key and click
Create Keywhich will act as your
Passwordwhen connecting the email account in Close.
- Make sure you keep info from this page saved as we will need it on the next step. Click on
Next: Verify Integration.
- Open the Close app and navigate to
Settings > Connected Accounts > + Add account > Custom Configuration, enter your
Continue, and on the screen below toggle off
Enable email syncingoption
- Enter the SMTP details you noted in step #4 and then click
- SMTP Host -
- SMTP Username -
- SMTP Password - your API key from step #3
- To verify that everything is working as expected we will need to add SendGrid's SMTP server in Close and send an email to someone. Click on
Verify Integrationand follow the next steps from
Testing it outsection.
You should have a Custom server in your Connected Accounts:
Go to a lead and try to send a new email using your SendGrid custom server by changing the
If needed, you can change the name/email from which you are sending by going to
Close app > Settings > Connected Accounts > Custom server > Add a From Address....
Send an email and go back to SendGrid's verification and you should see
It worked! confirmation after a few minutes.
Now you can use your SendGrid connected account while sending emails from Close.
Most countries have specific laws that specify how you may utilize bulk email. You're responsible to abide within the applicable regulations, but an honorable (and recommend!) first step is to enable the option to unsubscribe from future emails. This will also help with keeping your email domain off of globally-monitored black lists.
To enable unsubscribe links in SendGrid go to
Settings > Tracking > Subscription Tracking and enable it. By default, SendGrid will place the link at the bottom of your emails, but you are allowed to customize it and move it wherever you like via the
Replacement Tag option.
SendGrid will manage the process of not sending emails to people who have opted-out. More details at SendGrid Subscription Tracking.
Updated over 2 years ago