Custom Fields in Close are flexible and can be used for many different purposes. They allow you to store attributes about your Leads or Contacts. You can store common attributes like industry/vertical, company size, or timezone; setup our 'user' type custom field to assign Leads to specific reps; unsubscribe a contact from future communications, or sync your internal database to pull in data that could be relevant during a sales call.
Exact use cases depend on what you are trying to accomplish, so let’s cover how to set them up.
Close Customers Say It Best: Custom Fields
"Good, simple, easy to use software with excellent filters and custom categories."
-Orlando Zevallos, Account Executive, Warranty Master
Set up new Custom Fields in Close by going to Settings > Customizations > Custom Fields.
You can create, rename, merge, remove, and change types of Custom Fields from that page.
There are different types of Custom Fields you can create. Let’s review the differences:
- Choices (single): a dropdown of predefined choices where you can only select a single choice on a single Lead.
- Choices (multiple): a dropdown of predefined choices where you can select one or more choices on a single Lead.
- Contact (single): a dropdown containing all Contacts on a given Lead. You can assign a single Contact to a given Lead.
- Contact (multiple): a dropdown containing all Contacts on a given Lead. You can assign one or more Contacts to a given Lead.
- Date: a text field that only accepts a date.
- Date & Time: a field that requires both a date and a time.
- Number: a text field that only accepts numeric values (including numbers with decimal places)
- Text: a plain text field with no validation or structure.
- User (single): a dropdown containing all the Users who are active in your Close organization. You can only assign a single User to a single Lead.
- User (multiple): a dropdown containing all the Users who are active in your Close organization. You can only assign multiple Users to a single Lead.
- Hidden (for API use only): a field that is never displayed to the users in Close, but can be useful for API integrations. Accepts any data type from JSON, including lists and objects.
Close Product Help: Use Roles & Permissions to Restrict Custom Field Editing
Change the name and type of an existing Custom Field once it is created by clicking “edit” next to to the Custom Field.
Changing a single-value custom field to a multi-value (and vice versa)
You can safely change a custom field from type "Choices (single)" to "Choices (multiple)" and from "User (single)" to "User (multiple)". However, changing a multi-value custom field back to single-value drops all the existing values.
Changing a text/choice custom field to user custom field
Before changing an existing text/choice custom field into a user custom field, make sure your field values match the exact full names (or IDs) of the users in your organization. Any values that don't exactly match will be lost. If you need to edit the field values for your leads, use the method outlined here.
Navigate to the Custom Fields section under Settings > Customizations > Custom Fields. Then, select "Delete" from the options to the right of the Custom Field, or select “Edit” next to the Custom Field name and click on the trash can icon in the bottom left corner.
Custom Fields can be added to each Lead individually, during a data import, or by bulk editing a list of Leads.
Add a Custom Field value to a Lead by simply navigating to the Lead page, select the + sign next to the Custom Field section, select your Custom Field from the drop-down, add the value, and click save. You can also edit a Custom Field from this same section as shown below:
Note: Custom Fields will only appear on the Lead page if there is a value associated with it for that Lead.
You can also add Custom Fields to Contacts in Close. This is especially useful for Leads with multiple contacts associated with them. To do this, simply click on the edit button next Contact name as shown below:
Then, you will see the edit screen. Here, you can select the Contact-level Custom Field from the Dropdown as shown below:
Adding contact custom fields
Add a Custom Field in bulk to a list of Leads by using the Bulk Editing tool on the Leads page. For example, assign Leads to a sales rep in bulk based on certain Lead criteria.
Close doesn't support multiple currencies and their exchange rates just yet. However, you can pick the main Currency on the Settings > Organization > General page and it will be used in various places across the whole application, making the use of Close more intuitive.
Updated 11 days ago